6/13/08

Back from DC

After a few packed, but experience-filled days in DC, I'm back home... and it feels good. I was in DC for my Pickering Orientation, and although it was overall interesting, 12 hour days of paperwork, speakers, receptions, etc. gets long. Here were some of the perks...

- Meeting several ambassadors (a few of which were career ambassadors). I was really impressed with one in particular who has done work with the Dali Lama, Nelson Mendella, etc. Very inspiring.
- Meeting Ambassador Thomas Pickering himself (definitely an honor).
- Staying in a $675/night hotel :) (bathrobes, mini bar, etc.)
- Touring the State Department Operations Center. This is basically the ER of the State Department. It's a 24-hour department that handles literally ANTHING that comes up...coups, evacuations, wars, disasters, shootings, diplomatic meetings, etc. This is where Secretary Rice calls to be briefed on news, get connected to other foreign leaders, etc. Many people who work in the State Department building have not even been allowed in the room, so it was definitely an honor to see it.
-Touring the Diplomatic Reception Rooms. This is where Secretary Rice and other Ambassadors bring foreign leaders, etc. when they entertain.
- Finding out ALL of the fellowship details (free groceries, etc. :) )

Negatives:
-Finding out more about the intensity of my upcoming summer school (next summer)...it's going to be rough.
-Learning more about the difficulty of the Foreign Service Officer Tests (yikes)
-Realizing how incredibly well I am going to have to do on my GRE.
= a lot of pressure and stress

I miss friends terribly and literally don't know how to live without Ash being in the same room anymore...

No comments: