At the university I am taking a human rights class and my senior seminar (an ethics course required for graduation). I am really enjoying both courses. My human rights class consists of only myself, one other student, and the professor. It is taught in a hybrid of Spanish and English (about 75% spanish and 25% english). Since there are only three of us, my professor has decided to hold class in a different cafe everyday, which I love! We are currently reading Nunca Mas, a book filled with historical context about Guatemala's recent war as well as testimonies of victims, etc. We spend our two hour sessions discussing the social constructs of Guatemala, the influence of the United States, events leading up to the war, etc... (not an easy feat in Spanish!) but I love it...the cafe atmosphere, dialogue, etc. It's the perfect class for me.
The beautiful Rafael Landivar University (no, this is not at all typical of Guatemala... at the university it almost feels like we're stepping back into the United States, but we're really lucky to be able to attend such a fine institution, the best in Xela).
My senior seminar has been excellant as well. It's taught entirely in English (thank goodness!) by our CSBSJU program director. I REALLY enjoy the break from Spanish and the feeling of academic normalcy. It gets really frustrating never being able to fully express myself in Spanish and always feeling incompetent. Being able to convey my thoughts in English and actually feel an ounce of intelligence again has been great. I think it's going to be a really good class.
If only I could say the same about my Spanish classes....
Having Spanish classes from 2-7pm has been torture this week. I eat lunch at 1:30, go straight to class (where spend my ENTIRE afternoon), get done at 7 pm(by this time it is completely dark outside), and return home for dinner, shower, homework, and bed. Having been out of highschool for three years now, I'm finding it really hard to go back to 7 hour class-days. Hopefully I'll adjust soon!
As far as my volunteer experience, it has been a bit of a whirlwind as well. I orginally expressed interest in micro-loans and women's issues, and ended up being placed at an organic farming cooperative. I showed up for my first day yesterday and it was complete chaos. The organization was not prepared for our (my friend Shannon and my) visit. We were given no information about the organization and really had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. The manager of the organization asked us, "So, what do you want to do?" ...we responded, "umm, what are our options?" Having heard that I was interested in micro-loans he asked me what formal accounting classes I had taken and if I would be able to review loan requests...I tried not to laugh and bluntly told him, 'no' (although it would have been pretty funny to be able to call myself an Agricultural Loan Officer...like father, like daughter:). Many times here it is assumed that because you are American, you can do anything (for example, last year a girl working at a hospital was asked if would administer injections to patients, etc.). It became obvious to me that this was not the organization for me. Between my lack of spanish and professional skills, I felt as though I would be more of a burden than a help. After only one hour of our 4 hour time-block they told us we could leave because they couldn't come up with anything else for us to do...not exactly productive volunteer work. SO, as of next week I will be working in an orphanage. I initially avoided working with kids (having worked at a daycare for 7 years, I was looking for something different) but this particular orphanage is in desperate need of volunteers as it currently houses 86 orphans. Here, I know I will be able to help.
After a crazy week, I am really looking forward to a relaxing weekend. Both my host mom and brother are gone for the weekend, so I have the house to myself (plus the dogs). My host-mom told me that I could invite friends over, watch movies, order pizza, even have someone sleep over if I felt lonely (she is too cute). As she puts it, "Es tu casa". I'm looking forward to sleeping in (breakfast is always at 7:30 here), eating what I want when I want (and not being told that I 'eat like a bird' if I don't clear my ENTIRE plate), and catching up on Lost. I'm NOT looking forward to being the caregiver of two dogs, one of which has at least one accident in the house everyday. I have been very strongly reminded of why I am a cat person.
Well, that's it for now. A few shoutouts:
- Happy 21st Birthday Ash!!!!
- Mom, thank you for the Jelly Bellies... they made (and are continuing to make) my day.
- Erik, congrats on the play. Wish I could be there.
No comments:
Post a Comment