7/22/11

Bar Story

One of my colleagues is getting married in a few weeks. Last weekend we went out for a mini bachelorette party at a downtown bar filled mostly with American, British, and Australian expats (a person who is voluntarily absent from their home or country). Like everything else in Hong Kong, the drinks were a little pricey, but the atmosphere made up for it. While I was at the bar ordering a drink I was approached by an Australian man who said, "See that guy over there in that 'dodgy' t-shirt? What kind of person wears to t-shirt to nice place like this? Can you believe that?" I initially took his banter as a bizarre pick up line and was sure to flash my engagement ring while tucking my hair behind my ear. He then proceeded to tell me that the guy sporting the "dodgy" t-shirt was his friend and offered to pay for my drink in exchange for me approaching his friend and calling him out on wearing a t-shirt to such a nice bar.
I initially said no. The Minnesota nice in me just couldn't do it. Then I looked at my drink's $15 dollar price tag, reminded myself that I was in Hong Kong, and went for it. I had a tough time keeping a straight face, but upheld my end of the bargain, tapped the friend on the shoulder,  and questioned the "dodginess" of his t-shirt. We all had a good laugh, and I got my free drink :)
I told Erik the story the next day and his response was "that a girl" - which I absolutely love about him.

No comments: