“Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.” - Martin Luther King Jr.
Today, on the 47th anniversary of MLK's historic "I have a dream" speech, devisive
Fox poster-boy "news" anchor Glenn Beck stood at the Lincoln memorial and took it upon himself to spew relgiously charged rhetoric as a means of
manipulating 'uniting' America. Beck seeks to "reclaim our nation's 'freedoms'" (at least the freedoms that serve his white, Christian demographic) by using fear tactics to manipulate a vulnerable population into believing his opportunistic dogma.
I have no (further) words to adequately express my deep disgust for Beck's chicanery.
His personal profiteering as a reactionary character for Fox is coming at a great cost to the true principles this nation was built upon.
For someone who can articulate this much better than me, see the following article.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/28/opinion/28herbert.html?_r=1&ref=opinion
2 comments:
Isn't that what is great about America? someone controversial or not, is allowed to speak freely without anyone trying to mute their speech. I am not a fan of Mr. Beck, however I can not complain or feel ashamed of America for allowing someone to speak openly at a beautiful and historic monument such as the Lincoln. Although I am sure it is frustrating for you, as it would be for me if Ms. Rachel Madow gave a similar speech, you should at the same time be happy they are still allowed to speak. Other then that, I hope you have a great day, and you have an awesome blog!
Hey! Thanks for the blog comment! I absolutely agree that he should be allowed to speak, I just don't buy his claim that he "didn't realize" it was the anniversary of the MLK speech until after the venue was booked.
I don't at all have a problem with Beck's right to speak, but I do feel that his message could be danger...ous if interpreted literally (which many do)... What ever happened to the separation of church and state? When he says that 'it's time to turn back to God', he is ostracizing a large percentage of the population who don't necessarily pray to his "christian god".
Anyway, good to hear from you! The wedding looked like a blast this weekend! Hope all is well, hopefully we'll run into each other at some point :)
Post a Comment